Saturday, November 27, 2010

Two new bags!

I am pleased to announce the completion of two new bags this evening.
One bag is a custom creation for AnneB. This is the bag which uses the beautiful poppy lane fabric I just received in stock. This bag features a complete zip top, 6 internal pockets and 3 pen pockets.

 



The next bag was made quite quickly when I had nothing better to do. I didn't have the intentions of making this new bag but... it just happened. I'm quite pleased with the results. See for yourself :)





In other (kind of sad) news! I realized, tonight, that I cannot continue to make zip top bags unless I charge at least $50.00 a piece. Let me break down my costs for you.

One yard of interfacing is $3. I used a whopping 3.75 yards of interfacing on the red poppy bag. How, you ask? I have NO IDEA. The outside requires a stiffer interfacing, and the bottom a double dose of interfacing. Then there's the internal fabric, all the pockets, the zip top and the handles. This price equals $11.25.

Then, there's the fabric. The poppy and chandelier fabric is $8.00 per yard. Because of the width and directional printing of the fabric, I had to use about 1.25 yard of external fabric. Because of the pockets, I had to use about 1.5 yards of the internal fabric. This is equal to 2.75 yards, or $22.00.

Each of the zippers cost about $2, so $4 total.

Not including the 8 hours I spent washing and pressing the fabric, measuring, cutting, applying interfacing and meticulous sewing of the bag - the cost of materials alone is $37.25.
This fact is a bit shocking to me. I did not realize that I was spending this much on my bags. Because I buy fabric here and there and have a stock of zippers, key clasps and other goodies, I just did not realize how much money I truly was spending. My overall goal is to make a fantastic product at an affordable price. However, even if I undercharge at $2/hr, the price for this bag is $53.25. It is so hard for me to believe.

For the time being, I believe I will be sticking to my open-top totes which feature either a button, magnetic snap or no closure. It cuts at least 3 hours off the bag itself because I am not yet proficient in the zip top and even if I were, it would probably add at least 1 hour to the bag production. If you would like a zip-top bag, I'd be more than happy to make one for you but it will take a considerably longer amount of time and it will cost a great deal more. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If I could... I'd make them all for free.


<3 Until next time....






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...